Performance Philosophy is an international network open to all researchers concerned with the relationship between performance & philosophy.

• Anyone can be a member of Performance Philosophy and it is free to join. Just click on the link that says 'Sign Up' in the box above. 
  • All members are free to propose new groups within Performance Philosophy. These can be either geographic or thematic groups. Please see the 'About' page for more information. Or go to 'Groups' to propose a new group.
  • If you have any problems using this website, please contact: 
  • For general enquiries about Performance Philosophy, please contact Laura Cull: l.cull@surrey.ac.uk

Forum

Performing Viral Pandemics?

Started by aha. Last reply by aha May 11, 2020. 2 Replies

Hi.Hopefully all is well!The shorty is a suggestion to start an online conversation group to elaborate questions from theCovid-19 oriented period and Performance Philosophy?eg. Intra-Active Virome?…Continue

We all have the same dream?

Started by Egemen Kalyon Apr 2, 2020. 0 Replies

Hello, "We all have the same dream" is my project that aims to create an archive from the dreams of our era and reinterpret Jung's "collective unconscious" concepts with performance and performing…Continue

Circus and Its Others 2020, UC Davis CFP

Started by Ante Ursic Mar 15, 2020. 0 Replies

Circus and its Others 2020November 12-15University of California, DavisRevised Proposal Deadline: April 15, 2020Launched in 2014, the Circus and its Others research project explores the ways in which…Continue

Tags: critical, ethnic, queer, performance, animal

Blog Posts

"Further Evidence on the Meaning of Musical Performance" Working Paper

Posted by Phillip Cartwright on January 15, 2020 at 21:28 0 Comments

Karolina Nevoina and I are pleased to announce availability of our working paper, "Further Evidence on the Meaning of Musical Performance". Special thanks to Professor Aaron Williamon and the Royal College of Music, Centre for Performance Science.…

Continue

Division of Labor - Denis Beaubois

Posted by Gabrielle Senza on February 23, 2018 at 0:36 0 Comments

I just came across Denis Beaubois, an Australian multidisciplinary artist whose work, Currency - Division of Labor might be of interest to researchers here.

It is a series of video/performance works that use the division of labor model in capitalism as a structural tool for performance.

From his website:

The Division of labour work explores…

Continue

Events

Videos

• Add Videos

Towards an ethics of "things" (as one trajectory/horizon for performance philosophy)

BLANK AMNESIA! I find myself musing in the direction of an ethics of 'things' and wondering where to look for good sources/inspiration on this notion/horizon. Any ideas? You friendly experts on the planes of immanence, I'm sure you know what I need...HELP! What reading would you recommend? Could caring for things be a stringent consequence of PP? 

Views: 751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is very much something I am interested in too Alice - as is John. I think there will be quite a lot of useful stuff at the more radical ends of both animal studies and ecology, where the boundaries between animate and inanimate are questioned and hence, also the ethical demands that other kinds of things might place upon us.

For instance, we've both been meaning to read this book for a while : http://punctumbooks.com/titles/animal-vegetable-mineral-ethics-and-... 

and joy of joys, you can download it straight from the site.

Also, have you looked at much Bruno Latour? That would seem another obvious choice. 

Then there's also people like Jane Bennett on vibrant matter - but I'm not sure if she deals with ethics.

John will know better about this than me though - so I'll get him to reply too.

This year's American Society for Theatre Research has a Working Group on "Objects and Things." I can send you their bibliography if you'd like. In addition to Bennett and Latour, the writings on Actor Network Theory are pretty interesting and might provide an entrance into an ethics of things. Check out Law and Hassard's Actor Network Theory and After.

The obvious other direction is all the trendy object-oriented philosophy coming out from Graham Harman and the like. It strikes me that it's not as new as it thinks it is - given that Bennett/Latour/Appadurai were all there first - but still probably of interest on this topic.

It's probably already on your list, but The Speculative Turn: Continental Materialism and Realism, edited by Graham Harman, Nick Srnicek, and Levi Bryant is a recent snapshot of object oriented philosophy. Many of the essays engage Latour, but even more directly engage Meillassoux.

Sorry, I'm new here. Is it possible to collaboratively assemble a reading list/bibliography with the tools on this site?

Many thanks - and thanks to everyone! - for all these helpful pointers. 

I think what I'm trying to trace is how the trajectory/dynamics of thinking through performativity appears to move - perhaps in something of a disturbing way - from placing an emphasis on the human voice (albeit an already de-subjectified, general, voice, I would argue) in speech acts, to underlining the curiously rythmic and "neutral" - yet potent and affective - nature of events (ereignis). Part of this process implies a curious subjectification of things/objects (just as the human voice becomes objectified), such that they might begin, in their own way to speak. Ecological and eco-phenomenological questions may naturally arise as a consequence, though they are not my primary concern.

On a very every day level, things challenge me like nothing else (disappearing when I most need them, swamping me, overtaking the space when there is already so little). It's a constant battle to find some sort of harmony with them. I struggle endlesslessly and hopelessly with the necessity - and futility - of tidying up! And wondered if there was a philosopher out there who shared my plight and might even help!

Might not be quite what you have in mind, but one type of thing that might be said to carry ethical burdens, is clothing, and clothing as it becomes costume or a thing in performance is another type of thing. In their book 'Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory' (Cambridge University Press), Ann Rosalind Jones and Peter Stallybrass acknowledge the weight or burden of coping with the clothes of a dead friend and thinking through the way clothes carry memories of their lost wearers. Nothing obviously ethical or philosophical is stated in their explorations – it isn't a book of theory – but perhaps the more suggestive because of this.... and there's an array of Renaissance scholarship concerned with the different of things as cultural matters in early modern culture that allow for shifts of perspective on more recent cultures.

best wishes,

Drew

Hello, this might not have to do with speech or voice in general, but Japanese classical arts such as tea ceremony put much emphasis on an ethical treatment of 'inanimate' objects (e.g. the tea tools). This might stem from a spiritual or quasi-religious belief that all objects 'have a soul' (if you allow the expression), hence they shall be treated appropriately. There is a wealth of literature on this, but anyway if you are interested in a general treatment of the topic from a Japanese perspective I would like to suggest suggest the recent 'Everyday Aesthetics' by Saito Yuriko (Oxford 2007).

Thanks for this, Diego. I will definitely look into it. Meanwhile I have begun, albeit tentatively, to delve into Bruno Latour and Graham Harman's Object-Oriented Ontology. There's also Silvia Benso's Levinas-inspired "Face of Things" and a whole movement in 'eco-phenomenology' (ted toadvine et al) to get one's head around....The question then becomes how this might (or might not) relate to performance in any sort of helpful sense, but I'm not there yet! Will post any sudden insights - or more likely questions -  as they come! Tea certainly sounds like a good idea in the meantime...

Ethical questions in relationship to institutional power, economical priorities, and fear have been coming up for me lately with disorienting intensity. Since, I am affraid of escaping into empty moralizing to avoid pessimism, I find that close readings of history from as many  angles as possible, on one hand, and of those philosophers who were not embarassed to approach the thematic cliches such as good and evil, and truth and power, proves necessary for the conscious continuation of labor, and creative life. So I recommend, looking into Foucault's analysis of truth, identity and humanism (essays Truth and Power; On the Genealogy of Ethics; Man and his Doubles in Les mots et les choses, and of course Subjectivity and Truth).  Also, more on the unambiguosly Marxist side, I recommend Ethics-An Essay on the Understanding Evil by Alain Badiou.

In terms of bridging particularity of specific subjectivities and grand narratives of today, brought about by unique  historical and political events of the 20th century, which we still do not comprehend, and thus tend to sublimate, represent or even worse imitate,  I recently discovered plays by German author Elfride Jelinek. Hope this helps!

There is also the autobiography by Annie Ernaux in which she and her partner write through her cancer treatments by making love and then photographing the piles of clothing, as they were left on the surfaces of their home... sometimes the thing is the thing through which.... 

Drew Milne said:

Might not be quite what you have in mind, but one type of thing that might be said to carry ethical burdens, is clothing, and clothing as it becomes costume or a thing in performance is another type of thing. In their book 'Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory' (Cambridge University Press), Ann Rosalind Jones and Peter Stallybrass acknowledge the weight or burden of coping with the clothes of a dead friend and thinking through the way clothes carry memories of their lost wearers. Nothing obviously ethical or philosophical is stated in their explorations – it isn't a book of theory – but perhaps the more suggestive because of this.... and there's an array of Renaissance scholarship concerned with the different of things as cultural matters in early modern culture that allow for shifts of perspective on more recent cultures.

best wishes,

Drew

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Laura Cull.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service